Saturday, August 05, 2006

Our story part 1

Today I will tell you a bit about myself and our family. I am the 4th generation of my family here in Australia. I am 39 years old, married with 3 children the eldest is currently 7. My Great Grandfather was born in Berlin in 1881 and immigrated to Australia with his family in 1884 to avoid religious persecution. In 1908 he purchased the first vineyard that now forms part of what we continue to work today. He passed away in 1970 at the age 88. My Grandfather passed away early in 2006 at the age of 90; he worked in our vineyard all his life. Grandpa and Dad have built our holdings up to what they are now. We have steadily added to our vineyards with the most recent purchase in 2005, to bring our total vineyard area to approx. 45 Ha. (120 acres). I have been involved in working and managing our vineyard since I left school 25 vintages ago. Our vineyard has undergone some very significant changes since my Great Grandfather first started growing grapes. The varieties we grow have changed a little, although we do still have some 95 year old Shiraz vines on their own roots. We are now able to give our vines supplemental irrigation and most of our vineyard can now be worked mechanically. I will say more about the changes that have occurred in future posts. This Photo is of my grandfather on his 90th birthday, 3 months before he passed away.

No comments: